On 27 June 1903, transit traffic commenced on the 13.3km line of the Wuppertal Suspension Railway. Between the two terminal stations of Rittershausen (now Oberbarmen) and Vohwinkel, the "Continental Society for Electrical Enterprises" had built a total of 18 stops. These stations mostly had a footprint 13 metres in width and 25 metres in length.
The designers had created three different roof shapes for the stops: the gable roof, the arched roof, and the cantilever roof.
On the Elberfeld section and the rural section, gable roofs were used. The only architectural exception was the Döppersberg station, with an arched roof. The stations on the Barmen section were built with lighter, material and cost-saving cantilever roofs for the platforms. The supporting structure of the railway systems remained in the open air. The stations at Rathausbrücke (now Alter Markt) and Werther Brücke were again built with arched roofing.
The two terminal stations at Oberbarmen and Vohwinkel ended with a turning loop and points system on the same level. At Vohwinkel, this was connected to the depot and the workshop for the suspension railway carriages.
The construction of the stops and stations from iron girders permitted a wide range of design options. Particularly worthy of note are the many different designs used for access areas and stairway structures.
The air raids between 1943 and 1945 damaged a number of stations, some of them severely. The burnt-out stations at Alexanderbrücke and Kluse first had to be entirely disassembled before they could be reconstructed.
All 20 stations by now exist again, and have progressively been renovated or entirely modernised within the framework of the extension process. Because all the stops of the Wuppertal Suspension Railway are suspended from the supporting framework, it was necessary to completely disassemble each stop before the bridges and supports could be replaced. For reasons of economy, old components have only been used at three stops listed as historic monuments, taking into consideration static loading requirements: Werther Brücke, Völklinger Strasse and Landgericht. The Central Station is now the only one still dating back to the Second World War.
The Wuppertal Municipal Utilities devote particular attention to design when extending the stops. From the exterior, the stations appear to have been changed very little by the modernisation. The design of the interior areas of the stops, however, generally exceeds the latest standards for suburban railways. All stations have wheelchair-friendly access routes and modern elevators. The waiting areas have also been made wider. Since the start of 2004, surveillance cameras have additionally been installed for the safety of the passengers.